Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A McFarland ruckus

A McFarland home ruckus
Today was a little interesting. I played soccer for the afternoon, until 5:30 came, and we all had to go. I did my chores, and went to talk to my dad for a bit. I really love talking with him; I feel like we see eye to eye. I talked for a bit with him over relationships and friends, and then went inside to shower. After a quick shower, I went to my room. Suddenly, I heard several loud voices, and then I heard what I recognized to be my brother Noah's voice shouting, "PAPA! PAPA!" Then, I heard a crash, followed by Malakai screaming. "What the heck is happening?" I thought. Screaming and crashing in my house is normal (LOL) but "PAPA PAPA?" This was getting strange. I walked out of my bedroom with a towel rapped around my waist, and saw to my surprise 4 things: Papa holding a screaming Kai, Noah crying into the couch, the previously full Catadyn filter laying in pieces on the floor, and water covering the floor, in someplace 3 inches deep. Papa, seeing me, yelled for me to come and help him dry the floor. I motioned towards the towel around my waist, indicating I was not fully dressed, and he nodded, understanding. I ran back into my bedroom, put some pants on, and ran right back out. Without thinking, I grabbed a towel and started trying to dry the floor. Do you know the saying "You can't bail water with a pitchfork"? Same concept. My towel suddenly was very heavy, and dripping water. Dodging siblings, I ran outside and squeezed the towel to get the water out. Hurrying back in, i tried again, but before I was successful in drying the least bit, my dad shouted over the screaming baby, "Use a broom! Noah, go get a squeegee!" We both did as we were told. Noah ran to the Institute to get a squeegee, but did not get back for 10 minutes. I got a broom, and was able to sweep some water out before it managed to get on the rug. Things calmed down from there, and I was joined by Isaiah and Ellie. Noah returned, and after 15 minutes of battling water, we were victorious. We all leaned on our broom sticks and surveyed the floor. It was nearly completely dry. "Time to bust out the towels, boys!" I said. We all grabbed towels, and after another 10 minutes, the floor was dry. "Good job!" Papa said. "Now lets eat!" He had been working on dinner, I realized. "Why didn't you help us?" I asked. " You didn't need it. " He said. I smiled, and we all sat down to eat dinner. Now, i realize that my dad trusted me to help clean up the mess, and had left me in charge. I love having trust like that. It makes a boy feel special.
P.S. I later learned that Malakai had been climbing on the water filter, and it had fell on him, with 20 liters of water inside of the tank. This water all fell out, but miraculously, Kai only suffered a small bruise on the top of his head.  The major damage was done to the filters, which cost A LOT..

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elisha! thank you for painting a picture for us. My eyes are filling up with tears over your family's loss. Replacing important items like water filters is far more costly than money when one lives in Uganda. I love how you honor your Papa and the relationship that you have with him. Love to you, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nana. I am still learning how to write, and hope that this increases what skill I have! I really love Papa, even through the hard times. Hope you like my next post!

    ReplyDelete